Software Testing Best Practices
Software testing best practices are like training wheels. You need a set of guidelines to learn how to ride, but this does not mean you can take off the training wheels (i.e. disregard the best practices) once you are well-versed in software testing.
Software best practices have been around for a long time. These include:
- Functional specifications,
- Reviews and inspection,
- Formal entry and exit criteria,
- Functional test-variations,
- Multi-platform testing and
- Automated test execution.
What Is Test Management?
Test management is a set of activities that you perform on a day-to-day basis on a project to ensure successful delivery. It also includes the following:
- Building and leading a testing team,
- Defining the scope of the testing,
- Planning, deploying and managing the effort,
- Applying test processes and metrics, handling resource and risk, as well as
- Test reporting and sign-off.
Test Management Control
This refers to having controls of all the activities of the testing cycle. These activities include:
- Test planning,
- Test strategy,
- Test schedule,
- Test case,
- Test execution,
- Test environment,
- Defect cycle, and
- Test reports.
Why Does Software Testing Need To Be Managed?
Software testing is very complex. Many times, there are unclear requirements. In practice, software testers often function on tight a deadline, which means they need to use smart, automated testing solutions that need to be planned and managed. Depending on the project, there may also be budget constraints, multiple stakeholders and even distributed team tendencies.
Some test management tips include:
- Ask questions,
- Test early,
- Focus on continuous improvement,
- Learn while testing,
- Build relationships,
- Evaluate effort versus output, and
- Add business value.
How To Manage Software Testing
Do the following:
- Create a to-do list of your deliverables, time and cost estimates as well as the software test plan.
- Assign the resources and risks.
- Now you can start the execution.
- Monitor and adjust the software test plan as the project develops, and perform retrospective evaluations.
In this way, you can manage a software testing project.
Need software testers who can do a comprehensive and thorough test on all your applications and software? Then contact Inspired Testing today.