Why do we need a test management tool?
Test management tools are used to store information on how testing is to be done, plan testing activities, and report the status of quality assurance activities. While different tools have different features, they are generally used to maintain and plan manual testing, run or gather execution data from automated tests, manage multiple environments and to enter information about found defects. There are a number of reasons why a test management tool is recommended.
Manage test activities – not required
A test management tool does not find defects, its used to manage test activities and defects that have been found during these activities
Test assigning and tracking
Within a project time, it is crucial that tasks are assigned and tracked correctly. A test management tool not only helps team members assign tasks to specific people, but it is also possible to track whether the action was performed and by whom.
Logical and easy to use
Minimal programming skills are needed to install and use a test management tool, which minimises training overhead. The systems are accessible, flexible and easy to use.
Transparent and traceable tests
Every aspect of the testing of the application can be traced within a test management system. This wealth of data leads to better accountability, streamlined testing, and better test plans in the future.
Examples of test management tools
- Microfocus ALM (Application life cycle management) or HP-QC (Quality centre, which is the older version of ALM)
Features of test management tools
- Manage the build and versioning for testing
- To manage the test scenarios, test cases, and test scripts
- To map the requirements and test scenarios as well as test cases
- To update the test case status while the tests are being executed
- To update the test cases with a defect
- To track the test progress
- To generate the test reports
- To maintain the test history
Need software testers who can do a comprehensive and thorough test on all your applications and software? Then contact Inspired Testing today.